Lately I've been somewhat annoyed with the amount of crackers we go through in this house. I feel like almost every time I go to the grocery store I'm picking up a box of crackers. So, I've decided to try making my own crackers. They are actually relatively easy to make! And, I know exactly what all the ingredients are. Store bought graham crackers are very dry, which means if Ada is eating on in the living room then little crumbs follow her everywhere she goes. These crackers are really soft, almost cookie -like. Which means they are less messy, and little babies without teefers can easily gnaw on these without hurting their gums.
Besides being super easy to make, even your toddler can help you! Here's Ada helping me. She really liked to pulse the mixture in the food processor, eat the measuring spoons, and play with the flour. Also, it's safe to eat the dough because there are no eggs. Making these reminded me a lot of playing with play-doh as a kid. Enjoy!
Maple Graham Crackers
(adapted recipe from Weelicious)
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose white flour
1/4 to 1/2 brown sugar (I thought the 1/2 cup was just too sweet for me)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1teaspoon cinnamon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey)
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor, mix the flours, brown sugar, salt, spices, and baking soda.
3. Add the butter, slowly in small amounts, and pulse to combine. The mixture should look coarse and crumbly.
4. Mix together the water and maple syrup, then slowly add to the dry mixture and pulse until well incorporated. You may need to get a spatula to stir it around. Add more or less water or flour as seems needed. (the consistency should resemble pie crust dough)
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet (or stoneware pan is the best). When done baking, let cool on a cooling rack.
After eating these, I will never go back to store bought again! Enjoy!