Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Maple Graham Crackers

Lately I've been somewhat annoyed with the amount of crackers we go through in this house.  I feel like almost every time I go to the grocery store I'm picking up a box of crackers.  So, I've decided to try making my own crackers.  They are actually relatively easy to make! And, I know exactly what all the ingredients are.  Store bought graham crackers are very dry, which means if Ada is eating on in the living room then little crumbs follow her everywhere she goes.  These crackers are really soft, almost cookie -like.  Which means they are less messy, and little babies without teefers can easily gnaw on these without hurting their gums.

Besides being super easy to make, even your toddler can help you!  Here's Ada helping me.  She really liked to pulse the mixture in the food processor, eat the measuring spoons, and play with the flour.  Also, it's safe to eat the dough because there are no eggs.  Making these reminded me a lot of playing with play-doh as a kid.  Enjoy!





















Maple Graham Crackers
(adapted recipe from Weelicious)

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose white flour
1/4 to 1/2 brown sugar (I thought the 1/2 cup was just too sweet for me)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1teaspoon cinnamon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey)
1/4 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor, mix the flours, brown sugar, salt, spices, and baking soda.
3. Add the butter, slowly in small amounts, and pulse to combine. The mixture should look coarse and crumbly.
4. Mix together the water and maple syrup, then slowly add to the dry mixture and pulse until well incorporated.  You may need to get a spatula to stir it around. Add more or less water or flour as seems needed.  (the consistency should resemble pie crust dough)
5. Remove the dough and place on either a lightly floured surface, or on parchment or wax paper.  Roll into a flat disc about 1/4inch thick.
6. Cut into fun shapes!  I just use circles with the rim of a cup, but this is where you can get creative and use other cutout shapes.  Don't throw away any irregular scraps, you can use them to make cute animals or just bake them with everything else and your toddler will devour them!



7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet (or stoneware pan is the best).  When done baking, let cool on a cooling rack.



After eating these, I will never go back to store bought again!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, Christine! I love Catherine over at Weelicious. Her recipes are so innovative and she is such a sweet person in real life, too. Although we don't eat all that many graham crackers in our house, I'm inspired to make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine, I'm soo excited to make these!! I swear the only food Gabriel wants to eat are crackers and granola bars, that boy would live on grain-based foods only if we let him :) And Ada is looking so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I made the graham cracker cookies last night...couldn't get them the right consistency :( But Gabriel loves them! They kind of have an oatmeal cookie texture but taste just like graham crackers, thanks for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try graham crackers for quite awhile. I made regular crackers for the first time a few weeks ago: http://hergreenlife.com/2012/03/27/making-crackers/

    This might finally motivate me to try something new -- thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete