Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mothers and the Voice of God

Ada is six and a half months now, and time and again I find myself reflecting back on my pregnancy. It was a special time only she and I got to share. She will never remember it, but I will never forget it. One moment I will always treasure was the first time I met her. I'm not talking about the day she was born, or the day I saw her and heard her heartbeat via ultrasound, though those days were extremely amazing, too. I will always treasure the day when God told me what makes Ada, "Ada."

Every person God created uniquely, and every baby is born with a destiny and a purpose. When I discovered I was pregnant, I began a study on the mothers in the Bible. I found a very interesting pattern. There is a special grace on mothers to hear God's words for her children. With almost every mother, God spoke to them and gave them revelation about their child. Also, this most often happened when they were pregnant or about to conceive. Take the story of Rebekah in Genesis 25:22-24 "The children struggled together within her [Rebekah], and she said, 'If it is thus, why is this happening to me?' So she went to inquire of the LORD. And the LORD said to her, 'Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the older shall serve the younger.' When her days to give birth were completed, behold, there were twins in her womb."

God is still the same He is today that he was thousands of years ago, so if I inquire of Him about my child He will speak to me too.When I was about five months pregnant, I asked God who my baby girl was. This is from my journal entry on July 26, 2010:

Papa, life-creator, you see and know my child. You have her days in your book. Can you tell me about her?
"She's beautiful. She looks like her mom. She will learn to smile early, from you. She is blessed. Happy. Happy to be who she is and where she is."

I had so much joy to hear those words from the One who was weaving her together. I have even more joy now to see those words fulfilled in her. We chose her name based on who she is; Ada means "happy." When people meet her they inevitably say one of two things (or both) "Look at those blue eyes!" and "She is such a happy baby!" She is beautiful, and my relatives have said she is a clone of me. The first time I saw her smile was when she was one day old. About 95 percent of the time she is happy and content, no matter what she is doing or where she is. Anyone that spends some time with her will always comment how amazed they are at her content and happy nature. And those days, the other 5 percent of those times, when she is fussing because she's tired or teething, I remember that God's word never changes. I have also witnessed how her joy has uplifted those with broken and discouraged hearts.

Why does God do this? Simply stated, because He is good and He loves you. Other reasons include He wants you to see your child as He sees her, even if there are times that her life doesn't reflect the words God gave you. He knows how excited you are to meet your child. He wants to give you encouragement and hope. It can lead you to what name you should give your child. He wants to remind you that He cares deeply and knows your baby intimately. He wants to turn you into her biggest prayer warrior.

So mamas everywhere, know that God wants to share with you His secrets of your child. Know that you are in a prime place to receive revelation from God that will change how you see your child and how you encourage them to be all that God has for them. He is just waiting, all you have to do is ask.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Christine! I have a question that I wanted to ask you, is it ok if I e-mail you and what is your e-mail?